Learn How to become a good fashion designer
According to a dictionary, the word “fashion” has two meanings one is (noun) “a popular or the latest style of clothing, hair, decoration or behaviour.” And other is (verb) “to make into something”. There are three important phrases in these definitions latest or new, style and make into something. So there are two aspects underlined by the definition. One is style and the second one is someone who creates that style.
Simply put, fashion is an art of transforming a simple looking attire into an elegant one. It refers to a style or practice, especially in clothing, footwear, accessories, makeup, or furniture. The genius who creates that style is a fashion designer.
A fashion designer is responsible for the creation of new designs that aim to set a trend. He/she creates designs for new clothing and accessories. A fashion designer has to keep track of the latest trends, analyze them and come up with a unique piece of design. His work does not stop at the design. He has to convert his idea into reality, into a garment or accessories by taking help of various departments like production, sales, and marketing.
Opportunities for Fashion Designers
Fashion designers can pursue a career at various organizations like a retail store, fashion firms, costume design department etc. If we search on popular job portals, we will find demand for fashion designers from many cities.
Search for “fashion designer” on job portals, you will find around 400to 500 jobs posted as recent as last 30 days
Responsibilities of fashion designer
Let us study some of the job descriptions available on different job portal on the internet. Here are some of the common roles and responsibilities observed on job portals.
- Track latest fashion trends and anticipate new designs.
- Track general trends relating to fabric, colors, and shapes.
- Decide on a theme for launching a collection.
- Creating or visualizing an idea and putting it on paper.
- Select fabrics, embellishments, colors, or a style for each garment or accessory to be produced.
- Use computer software and create fashion designs.
- Work with other designers or team members to create a design prototype.
- Oversee the final production of their designs.
Sometimes, very specific things are mentioned.
- A designer should be able to create & design Men’s Wear Items like T-Shirts, hoodies, Jogger’s Pants with different patterns
- Should be very good in designing ladies wear such as dresses, rompers, and jumpers with multicolor prints
- A designer should be very good in creating new prints of florals, nautical or ethnics in alignment with the current trends
- Need to have good taste for Accessories Designs such as Labels & Hang Tags and Embroidery Designs along with Catalog knowledge.
Word of caution
Though the career in fashion is with all the glamour, it is important for one to remember that it is not easy to become the next celebrity fashion designer. There are very few to achieve this feat.
Expect hard work. When the timelines for the planned events like a fashion show or new launches are near, fashion designers have to work hard for long hours. Fierce competition an aspiring fashion designer has to face as more and more people are drawn to the fashion industry.
One needs to be passionate, creative and well-trained to accomplish the dream of becoming a great fashion designer.
What I have to do to become a Fashion Designer
There are various training programs which can be taken for one to become a fashion designer. These courses cover the history of fashion, sewing, tailoring, pattern making, software like computer-aided design (CAD) and various types of designs in clothing.
As an aspiring fashion designer, who should start tracking and reading about fashion trends to know what the new wave is. Searching for and doing an internship while pursuing education will add a lot of value. Rather it will give you a lot of exposure to real work in the fashion industry.
When you will join the fashion industry it is obvious that you would start working under someone who is more experienced. You would start as a design assistant and then become an assistant designer. After growing in skills and experience you may become a design director or fashion director. Explore Career Path after Fashion Designing Courses in Pune